Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Pods.

These peculiar forms are a result of my experimentation and evolving thoughts and how they have progressed over the last year as I have focused on the mind and body. 
As I began my focus on art and science and questioning the human body I focused on the literal forms and physical attributes in the body; making body casts, sculpting organs and trying to recreate bodily tissues and cells. However through this and through a interest in questioning the mind I have become distanced from physical representation become more interested in that which we do not see and finding dead ends and limitations to what else there is to discover by focusing on literal aspects of the human body.

These 'pods' are sculptures which I have experimented with creating to question my own limits of understanding in the world around and my own capacity to move away from the need for structure. Stemming from a interest in ideas surrounding the Copernican revolution, as I intend to write about this for my 3rd year dissertation, the pods represent a questioning of space in which they float in and the space inside them.  

They are imperfect and hard to interpret however in contrast to the process based object making of my other pieces they provide a personal challenge to myself to reconsider how I might make art and what art is. As I have been hanging these in my studio space I have been questioned as to what they are and what they mean however to my understanding this is where realizations can be made about ones mind by how they may interpret abstract objects which is made harder when colour and familiar form is removed as our minds rely on preset connections to interpret the world around. 

The physcial attributes of the objects are delicate and fragile as the cling film can be easy crushed or torn whilst the wire frames offer a structure and frame for them to cling upon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment