"Human identity is the most fragile thing that we have, and it's often only found in moments of truth."-Alan Rudolph
To test and explore the theme of fragility and the delicate in my sculptural work I experimented with making thin wax forms. These wax shapes were made using modrock casts of metal trays which I formed into various shapes and then coating the inside with cling film. Into the cling film lined cast I then played with trying to make thin coatings of paraffin wax. The result of this experimented allowed me to observe and learn how to work the wax into thin sheets and how it interacts with the plastic coating to make patterns and textures in the wax.
With these test pieces I then experiemented with how these could be transformed when light is passed through them, illuminating the areas of light and dark and the delicate edges of the forms.
Through this method of testing ways of working with wax I have been able to observe the diversity of it as a medium to cast with or coat other materials. Furthermore it has opened up themes of fragility and ideas of degrading due to the physical attributes of the material itself but also the connotations which arrise as a emotional response to viewing and holding these pieces.
"Human identity is the most fragile thing that we have, and it's often only found in moments of truth."-Alan Rudolph
To test and explore the theme of fragility and the delicate in my sculptural work I experimented with making thin wax forms. These wax shapes were made using modrock casts of metal trays which I formed into various shapes and then coating the inside with cling film. Into the cling film lined cast I then played with trying to make thin coatings of paraffin wax. The result of this experimented allowed me to observe and learn how to work the wax into thin sheets and how it interacts with the plastic coating to make patterns and textures in the wax.
With these test pieces I then experiemented with how these could be transformed when light is passed through them, illuminating the areas of light and dark and the delicate edges of the forms.
Through this method of testing ways of working with wax I have been able to observe the diversity of it as a medium to cast with or coat other materials. Furthermore it has opened up themes of fragility and ideas of degrading due to the physical attributes of the material itself but also the connotations which arrise as a emotional response to viewing and holding these pieces.
No comments:
Post a Comment