Cling film installation....
"You are your connectome."- Neuroscientist, Sebastian Seung, 2011.
For this installation I was inspired by Numen's tape and net installations and therefore took inspiration of using ephemeral materials to create structures and transform their connotations. For this installation I chose to use cling film. I experimented with this small scale first and I found the light patterns created on the cling film when stretched and twisted very interesting. The nature of the material also made it easy to wrap and around objects to connect them to others.
I wanted to create a installation within the barns to signify the importance of connections within the brain to allow it to function...
''The brain contains about 90 million neurons and is roughly the size of two clenched fists, but it's not the overall size, or the total number of cells, that's important. What matters is how the neurons are connected to each other. The brain consists of a large number of specialized areas, connected by large bundles of nerve fibers called white matter tracts, and neurons within each region form very precise synaptic connections with each other. [...] It is becoming increasingly clear that a better understanding of the brain will require a detailed knowledge of the connections within and between different parts of the brain."
Before I settled on using cling film, I tested using white wool but I found this limiting as a material as it was not as flexible or easily manipulated as the cling film, allowing on geometric type connections.

No comments:
Post a Comment