Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Glue Gun experiments



Finding ways to craft 'thoughts'...

Friedrich Nietzsche  "Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -always darker, emptier and simpler."

 When considering how I can make art which represents the mind I found myself preoccupied with trying to imagine what a thought might look like. 
After using a glue gun I began experimenting with making forms and patterns with the glue by pulling the glue away to make long strings and curled forms. I felt that to me these seemed to represent my imagining of how a thought may look when passing through the mind. The medium of the glue also maintained the semi transparent aesthetic which I aim to keep with most of my works. 
I also liked this as a process as it is fairly uncontrollable and I could not recreate exactly the same pattern twice. Using Freud's theory of the mind, we are not in control of our unconscious mind therefore I wanted to use a process which took the control away from me as the artist and represent the random occurrences in the mind. 




No comments:

Post a Comment