Finding a new fascination with glass bowls...
Antique stores and discount markets are a wonderful place to find art inspiration and collect sculpture materials. From searching through local antique stores I have collected a range of sets of glassware. I have found these fascinating as I instantly made unconscious connections between these plates and body parts which I associated them with, finding the textures and patterns particularly interesting after researching patterns seen in medical scans.
The material implications of glass is also appealing to me as a sculptural material as, though it is a fairly durable material which is commonly used, the fragility of glass when damaged seem indicative of organs. Day to day we stain our bodies to stress of modern fast passed living and potentially dangerous substances such as alcohol, however when pushed too far like glass cracks begin to appear or shatter. I feel this makes a interesting comparison and by removing the bloody and gruesome associations usually associated with medicine and the body, the body can be interpreted from a alternative perspective.
This is something which I have also found in Luke Jerram's glass sculptures which appear beautiful but deadly. I personally find these extremely refreshing and intriguing as they allow you to engage in them as beautiful glass sculptures disassociating with the deadly diseases they represent and visually appreciate natural structures and patterns which occur in the body.
This is something which I have also found in Luke Jerram's glass sculptures which appear beautiful but deadly. I personally find these extremely refreshing and intriguing as they allow you to engage in them as beautiful glass sculptures disassociating with the deadly diseases they represent and visually appreciate natural structures and patterns which occur in the body.
Using this as inspiration, From here I aim to investigate how I can transform the glassware in installation work using creative lighting to represent the mind.

No comments:
Post a Comment