Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Wax Nerve tissue representations

“If you're thinking of the brain as a computer, the neuron is the transistor.” — Carl Schoonover


 Experimenting with wax led me to finding interesting patterns which could be created by dripping melted wax and spreading it into thin layers. This lead me to creating this glass jar experiment to attempt to represent patterns of brain nerve tissue. Using a dim light behind a sheet I was then able to illuminate this and use the light passing through the wax coating to highlight the patterns created. 

I was found this reminded me of Susan Adlworth's 'Birth of thought' drawing series. As a part of GV galleries art and science artists, I have followed her work for some time always finding the delicate patterns she draws fascinating. The patterns appear to creep out and in of the darkness. The use of black for the background of her drawings emphasizes the infinite space within the mind. I also find her drawings using white on black or blue backgrounds again emphasizes the importance of light in the mind. 













No comments:

Post a Comment