We are shaped by our minds; We become what we think. -Buddha
Experimenting with glue gun patterns has led me to working with glass jars as a case for the thoughts. I developed this after as I earlier mentioned I had been collecting glass plates due to an interest in the material.
Since this I have research Buddhist ideas on the mind...
Inspired by this I wanted to create delicate structures which would appear to float through the space within the glass. Using the semi transparent materials I wanted to reflect the idea of the mind as a non-physical phenomenon. I have therefore also used light to illuminate this and give life to the forms to create the sense of consciousness and awareness.Mind is defined in Buddhism as a non-physical phenomenon which perceives, thinks, recognises, experiences and reacts to the environment.The mind is described as having two main aspects: clarity and knowing; meaning that the mind is clear, formless and allows for objects to arise in it, and that the mind is knowing, an awareness, a consciousness which can engage with objects.
The combination of materials I have used in conjunction with various lighting has allowed me to create interesting affects. I particularly liked the affect created by using candles around the glass jars to create light reflections as I felt the reflections represented the ideas of memories being projected in the mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment