By the time I was born, more of me had died than survived.' Lewis Thomas
Using the same Idea as used for the jar experiments I made another wax test to patterns and affects I could make using wax. With this test once the wax had set to create more brain print patterns I then used a match to melt away a section. I did this to represent degenerative brain disorders such as strokes and dementia.
As the flame heated a section the wax began to melt wax, as the melted wax dripped down it left tracks.
I felt this represented how brain disorders spread through the brain, affecting other areas such a memory and motor responses.
In this piece the melted area signifies the trauma site, where a stroke may begin and the ripples of melted wax around it and drips demonstrated its affect on other areas in the brain.
" After a stroke, even unaffected areas of the brain are at risk – depolarization waves arise at the edges of the dead tissue and spread through the adjacent areas of the brain. If these waves are repeated, more cells die. [...] After the stroke, circulation in the tissue surrounding the affected area of the brain is initially poor, but it can still be saved,” explained Dr. Christian Dohmen of the Neurology Department at Cologne University Hospital. The spreading depolarizations additionally impair the metabolism of the weakened nerve cells. “The more frequently such waves occur, the longer the nerve cells require to recover, until finally they die off entirely,“ says the main author of the study. To what extent the brain is damaged after a stroke depends thus on the number of these spreading depolarizations. This correlation is becoming apparent in humans as well."University Hospital Heidelberg
No comments:
Post a Comment