Wednesday, 23 April 2014

"What is the mind? It is a phenonmenon that is not body, not substantial, has no form, no shape, no color, but, like a mirror, can clearly reflect objects." Lama Zopa Rinpoche

"What is the mind? It is a phenonmenon that is not body, not substantial, has no form, no shape, no color, but, like a mirror, can clearly reflect objects." 
Lama Zopa Rinpoche


Buddhist teachings describe the mind as separated from the body and physical form. From this I was inspired to further develop a sculpture I had previously made with clay and plaster. I made the lung cast by making a clay lung form which I then made clay box around before filling with plaster. Through this I wanted to explore the negative space of the clay sculptures to create a imprint of the body. Leading on from this, informed by Buddhist ideas, I wanted to expand this by making a cast of a brain and face to aim to continue this process and ultimately make a whole body out of these block sculptures.
This will make a 'negative' of a body to represent death as a inevitable part of human life. This will go alongside my works on the mind to reflect Buddhist ideas of the mind being a separated entity which is free outside of the confines of the physical body.

No comments:

Post a Comment