Repressed memories...
Leading off from my experiments with glass jars with glue guns I cast one of the jars in plaster. By doing this I wanted to create the sense of a repressed thought which is stuck in the back of the mind. Freud's theory of the mind detailed how the unconscious mind can suppress memories which are too horrifying or traumatic. Freud believed that these memories could be accessed through psychoanalysis.
This phenomena is defined by the American physiological association as...
"dissociative amnesia, which is defined in the DSM-IV as “an inability to recall important personal information, usually of a traumatic or stressful nature, that is too extensive to be explained by ordinary forgetfulness”
Though the viability of the existence of repressed memories is disputed, this is a theme I wanted to explore as a investigation into the possibility capabilities of the mind.
I used plaster to cast this as I wanted to use a dense opaque material to contrast with the transparent materials used to represent free thoughts.
Whilst experimenting with plaster casting I have also created more cast objects to represent fears and damaging memories which we attempt to push back to the back of our minds.
I used plaster to cast this as I wanted to use a dense opaque material to contrast with the transparent materials used to represent free thoughts.
Whilst experimenting with plaster casting I have also created more cast objects to represent fears and damaging memories which we attempt to push back to the back of our minds.
No comments:
Post a Comment