Katharine Dowson.
Katherine Dowson's sculptures have heavily influenced my ideas for this project. After seeing her work at the MOSI Brains exhibition I was particularly interested in her use of transparent materials to represent the brain. I felt that the transparency of her sculptures aptly reflected the physicality of the brain as an organ which is around 78% water. Also by encasing the sculpture within solid transparent blocks it represents how we can never really physically touch or visual the unconscious mind or grasp thoughts which occur in the mind.In my previous work in which I explored aspects of art and science, I engraved observations of Katharine Dowson's 'Memory of a Brain Malformation' sculpture. By engraving on metal a similar etched semi transparent affect was created. The etching technique also creates a surfaces for light to catch and illuminate.
This is something I would like to take forward into my next works and transport into a sculptural technique. I also will experiment further with light and shadow play.


No comments:
Post a Comment